Saturday, July 27, 2013

Why Artist Management?


I often get asked why did I choose to go to school for Artist Management when I have a Psychology degree. Music has always been a huge influence in my life. I also enjoy helping people and did not necessarily know what I was going to do after I received my Psychology degree. I had done a couple internships through my Associates and Bachelor degrees and although I enjoyed them I knew this was not the job for me. My youngest cousin who just turned fifteen in March has always loved writing raps. We thought it was a phase and he would grow out of it, but he did not. I have encouraged him to express his feelings and have introduced him to music he would normally not hear leaving where he lives. He is more of a freestyler who writes raps without hooks.
             I remember him calling and asking what he needs to do to get better. I was at a lost for words because I did not know how to honestly help him. This was around the same time that I had been out of school for a while and could not find a job with my degree that would pay my bills. I was online one night and there was a pop up ad for Full Sail University, Bachelors in Music Business. I immediately knew this was the answer. I unfortunately have a B.S. and you can only go up from there with financial aid. I enrolled a couple weeks later for my Masters Degree in Entertainment Business.
            Without my Psychology degree I may not understand how peoples minds work and why they behave a certain way. It is important to understand people no matter what type of job you have. I feel that I have an upper hand with a degree. Artist Management involves different types of people including; the Artist, Producers, Record Labels, Lawyers and the list goes on. If I did not have my degree I would not fully be able to manage everything in order to help an Artist become successful.  My goal when I started my Associates was to help and assist people. My answer to why I chose Artist Management is “ I want to help up and coming Artist, I want to see people that have a dream be able to achieve it.” There are many talented people out there that have no idea where to turn to. I want to be able to not only tell my cousin what he needs to do. I want guide him

No comments:

Post a Comment